Wednesday, February 1, 2017

A Possible Story for 'Chicken Soup'

This evening I looked over a list of upcoming titles of books to be published by Chicken Soup for the Soul and decided to contribute a story for the Step Outside Your Comfort Zone book, whose deadline is March 31 of this year.

I completed an 1100-word first draft this evening, called, "There Are More of Them!" but I can already see things I believe I should do to make it a story more fitting with what they're probably looking for.  Among those things is, I really ought to read one of their books!

Yes, I have so far gone through my entire life without having read a Chicken Soup for the Soul book.  I know, right?  What planet have I been living on, all these years?

The story I wrote chronicles some of my experiences while working for my former employer...which is kind-of, sort-of my current employer, only not, exactly.  It's a long story; there was a legislative session and a sunset committee involved.  So another thing I need to do is find out if I am even permitted to make money from telling a story about my work experiences, in the first place.  I don't name anyone I worked with or anyone I served, but I feel enough uncertainty that I should ask.  I am unsure if this would constitute a conflict of interest issue.

If that turns out to be an impassable roadblock, I will simply look for somewhere else to submit my story.  I'm sure there are plenty of non-paid markets that would accept a story/essay of this type, so I'll look there.

Anyway, I had a blast writing the story, and I do hope I will be able to get it published somewhere, though I hope it can be at Chicken Soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment